This blog mirrors my life, it is the ramblings of a wonderning student loving to learn and learning to love life. Somehow I will use this blog to take over the world. I will use a plan so deceptively brilliant it will destroy the minds of all who may opposose me. I am more dynamite than man and this blog is the fire that lights my fuse. The plan has but three phases...step 1. Freak out the sqaures. Step 2. ????? Step 3. Profit.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

What's cooler than being cool? Ice Cold !

I kinda think I don't fit in, but I thnk it's more that I wished I didn't fit in at all. I don't like the trends, I don't like what's popular. I think nerds are the new or rather real cool. The people who everyone labels as weird or strange cause they're diferent. These are the popel with genuine passion, the ones who are actually unique. You have to build an identity for yourself by what drives you, inspires you and makes you passionate. You can't buy an identity, even if it seems that way. You can't just mix and match all the peices from different stores and craft your own identity. You can create the shell, the outward appearance of the identity you want to project but that's all it is. I can dress like a punk rocker but that won't make me one...it might fool you at first glance into labelling me as one but that's only because you assumed and I played along. What we consume and how is our little way of projecting our beliefs to the outside world. We are conditioned to make snap judgements, we assume a great deal about our lives. You can look through someones closet and at their books and cds and then make all the decisions you want about what kind of person they are. It's too bad you'll probobly end up being wrong.

I hate cool, as a word as a concept, as anything. Did you know that there are actual "coolhunters" people hired by the big brands to find and identify trend setters then use their new knowledge of cool to improve the brands selling power. Isn't cool supposed to be individual and unique? How is it cool to wear what everyone else is wearing, how is it cooler to have one logo over another?

Stop trying to be cool, cause trying automatically makes you un-cool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with what you are saying here and I think you are expressing an important point. I think that when people look for "cool" they end up automatically putting barriers between themselves and others. The "cool" label the "uncool" and vice versa. The latter,especially in the oh-so-delicate early teenage years, can be pretty damaging. "Uncool" people can really begin to see themselves as such, which can have dramatic implications on how they view themselves and how they interact with others for years afterward. Maybe that's why there were no clothes in the Garden of Eden (our supposed "paradise on earth") - we weren't meant to classify one another right away by the way we dress. There was no surface to judge, just who you were - no fronts, no fashion statements, just you.

Rather than hate cool (because hate rarely - if ever - develops into change for the better), my mantra has become "I don't believe in nerds"

This comment's a bit of an out-of-the-blue blast from the past. Hope that all is well with you these days whatever you're up to/wherever you are.

Allison

10:03 PM, November 09, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home