This blog mirrors my life, it is the ramblings of a wonderning student loving to learn and learning to love life. Somehow I will use this blog to take over the world. I will use a plan so deceptively brilliant it will destroy the minds of all who may opposose me. I am more dynamite than man and this blog is the fire that lights my fuse. The plan has but three phases...step 1. Freak out the sqaures. Step 2. ????? Step 3. Profit.

Monday, December 05, 2005

And Still The City Sleeps

Have you ever felt like the only person who is awake sometimes? Have you ever explored the city when it's sleeping?

I took a walk last night and didn't encounter any signs of life, save for one car, one lonely dog walker and a rumbling city bus. The snow was just starting to fall gently and my path was lit every few steps by the soft orange street lamps. There was no wind and everythign around me was still and silent.

It was beuatiful, I felt like I was walking through an urban haiku. The city asleep, the snow falling and my mind free to drift away on a sea of thoughts.

I dedicated a good portion of my night to writting by candlelight, a beautiful setting that I constructed because I though it would inspre me, but it was just not my night. It was fun and beuatiful and intriguing but it did not yield the fruits of writting I was hoping for. However things looked much better in the morning and I was no longer upset about having failed to produce the masterpice I had dreamed of but had settled myself to the idea that while the pages I had written were not worth keeping, I did find one small nugget that I feel is worth reproducing. It encompasses the level of creative discourse I was searching for but could only tap into for a breif moment.

**I want to write a cosmic symphony on the parchement of space-time. Dip my pen in the bottomless inkwell of a black hole and compose a new thought, blasting in vivd technicolor across the cosmos and bind it all in a book with a belt of stars.**

Also, I'm sorry I have been neglecting my blog for so long, especially since everyone has been so generous with their comments. I came very close to being burried alive in an avalanche of essays but I made it to the end of another semester a little bit older and, I suppose, a little bit wiser. Goodluck to all my university readers staring down the beast that is winter exams. Soon we will be free to frolick naked in the glorious joy that is known as winter holidays.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, kudos for words brought together in harmonious and meaningful fusion.

I find it really odd (or maybe not, all things considered) that the sentence you decided to save discusses that intangible connection between thought and action. For much of Saturday night my own mental images consisted of beams of light spinning off the end of a wooden blade, sweeping curves of consciousness that were both thought and presence sent soaring through the universe. I remember us talking about how all we needed was a canvas, and I still think that if anyone figures out the best drum solo ever it should totally be blared across infinity. I also wondered what it would be like if I were one of those entities referred to innumerable times in science fiction books, a creature composed purely of energy, whose nature changes each moment to constantly mirror its own consciousness.

Here's to tangents tangling to dance together in the playground of the mind! Rock on...

11:44 PM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger Me said...

Well said my friend, as always you provide a perfect sounding board for my thoguhts. I want to be one of these creatures of pure energy, I want to reach a state of understanding with the cosmos that my actions simultaneously mirror and direct the changing nature of things.

I have decided after reading your comment and re-reading my notes that I have perhaps one more sentance to share.

**I want to be more dynamite than man, an explosion of thoughts that will level the confines of our understanding.** (it was the sentance that preceded the section I posted)

9:24 AM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger meg said...

i like as well.
i like that you push together all sorts of words that i never would have thought put-togetherable... "more dynamite than man" and "parchment of space-time" are my favourite.
keep throwin' it down, dan.

1:55 PM, December 06, 2005

 
Blogger Me said...

Thanks meg, but I wonder about the legitimacy of "put-togetherable." However the compliment was greatly appreciated. I fully intend to "keep throwin' it down."

P.S. I would like to start writing a series of urban haiku's but have only a base understanding of Haiku form. If any of my readers know more about the subtelties of writting them please get in touch.

9:37 PM, December 06, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Danny,

I remember hearing fragments of this conversation as you were discussing the comments posted above and the resulting response in our living room, and here I am looking at it hours later in a more cogent state.

I think that writing urban haiku is a natural progression in terms of your Kerouac/Zen buddhism binge. I have this small book on Koans, which are Zen haiku used during meditation. Unfortunately it's sort of on the other side of the world so you might have to wait for it. On a more practical note I think that given the constructive criticism (read: HATE) you'll receive from all quarters and the multiple orgasms you apparently provide your words with before nailing them down, it's safe to start writing haiku, then worrying about subtlety.

I look forward to making fun of...err...applauding...your first piece.

Anonymous in antinomy,

N

8:47 AM, December 07, 2005

 
Blogger meg said...

oh man, i love all the posters on your site, dan. everyone's so hot popular.

i have some notes on haiku-writing from my OAC writer's craft class... nothing too subtle but an understanding of what is to be covered in that particular form and how. when i meet up with you at home (y'know, that place we live in together, sometimes?) i'll hook you up.

ps. if lara mulvey can make up words, so can i.

3:16 PM, December 07, 2005

 
Blogger meg said...

p.s. i meant to say:

1. i really like your new subheading thing, esp. that you kept the three steps...but expanded in a sweet way.

2. good luck on 3YY3 tonight!

<3 meg (haha i HATE that sign-off)

3:21 PM, December 07, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously man. Portentious praise and persistent proxy zings. Not to mention abundant aliteration. There's a party in Danny's comment board and everyone's invited!

11:17 PM, December 10, 2005

 
Blogger Uzi said...

very nice post danny.keep 'em coming. I was reading this out loud in a room full of people that had no idea what I was jabbering on about and it felt all the better..

reppin' pakiland,
uzi

10:57 PM, December 11, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home