This blog mirrors my life, it is the ramblings of a wonderning student loving to learn and learning to love life. Somehow I will use this blog to take over the world. I will use a plan so deceptively brilliant it will destroy the minds of all who may opposose me. I am more dynamite than man and this blog is the fire that lights my fuse. The plan has but three phases...step 1. Freak out the sqaures. Step 2. ????? Step 3. Profit.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Whenever The First Leaf Falls, It Falls For You.

I do the buttons up and help you tie your scarf, the November winds carry a chill and you look cold.
We walk arm in arm in the twilight of fall, watching as the world turns gold and falls at our feet.

You burrow your head into my coat for warmth. Your hair smells like my memories, like the falls of our past.
A can dances down the street in rythm with the wind.
A gust of air flutters leaves up around our knees and then slowly settles them at our feet.

I look anxiously at my watch, and then down the road for the blue lights of the late night bus. This bus stop, this lonely corner at the top of the valley. The only spot where you can see love in the street lights; the curve and bend of the valley below cause the street lights to form a heart. There's no confusing it, as plain as day a heart, yet somehow I never saw it till you showed me. Since then it has become our heart.

Breaking our emrbrace I go to check the schedule and look at my watch one more time. You burrow in deeper when I return and remid me of the heart lights.

November is the coldest month, not cold in the way that a snowstorm in the middle of Decmber can be, but the coldest for your heart. The world around us dies and falls to pieces...the flowers and leaves that bloom so bright in the spring and so vibrant in the summer give a final flourish of life and color, then drift off into the seasons of our past. It doesn't matter how tightly I do up my scarf or what sweater I choose for warmth, Novemebr chills my heart. Its cruel winds snake into the saddest cracks in my heart and chill me to my core.

Every fall I look for beauty in the carpet of red and gold that rustles so softly under foot. A blanket of new colors for the often drab world, but it is fleeting and temporary. Soon the color fades and the trees look like skeletons. The wind will start to howl soon, a terrible empty wail when it has stripped the trees of all their life. Soon there will be no more quiet rustle of leaves, no gentle swaying in the wind, just the harsh whip of a cold Novemeber wind cutting through the days until the silence of winter falls like a heavy blanket on our heads.

I pull my hood down as far as it goes. Take one more look as the bus drives off and shiver as I lean into the wind for the walk home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a gorgeous piece, really something to be proud of, danny.
i remember the heart, one of these days you're going to have to take me to toronto and show it to me.
keep writing, i'll keep reading :)
love, meg

10:43 PM, November 08, 2005

 
Blogger Uzi said...

among all that death and withering away.. i was born. So, its not all that bad in november is it?

12:11 PM, November 16, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh danny, wake me up when november ends....the cold winds chill my heart as well, yet reading your blog brings warmth to my life. i've been a faithful reader for months now, watching you from afar...but i feel so close to your thoughts. if only it was me who was burrowing my head in your coat for warmth...but just the thought of you when i'm cold makes me all warm inside. keep writing, and i'll keep you close to my heart.

6:47 PM, November 18, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home